bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Stolen: A Letter to My Captor - Lucy Christopher I have to admit, I did not know anything about this book before I started reading it. I went in assuming it would be another typical story about a guy and a girl and how they fell in love.

And at first it seems that way.

What I love about the way this story is told is that Gemma, the protagonist, is not deluded about her anger, fear, hatred, and animosity she feels for Ty. She's writing this letter in acknowledgement of what she felt before and what she feels at the present. She recognizes people think she had Stockholm's Syndrome, but she doesn't know to or possibly want to call it that herself.

While I found myself utterly enthralled by Ty's ability to be a decent human being (which is actually him being NOT abusive rather than an exceptional human being; so not really all that decent), I was also always suspicious, vigilant and hating him underneath it all. In this sense, I couldn't relate to Gemma, really. While I was conflicted about Ty as well, I knew, ultimately, that I'd rather see him in jail or even getting the help he needs.

But, I have to admit, what bothers me still after reading this is that question (the one nagging in the back of my mind, waiting for a resolution or something to satisfy me in the least): will it be like this forever? Will that feeling go away? Will Gemma ever be persuaded away from that empathy and care for her captor? I mean, Stockholm Syndrome is temporary, right? But what happens after?

In some ways, I can understand how Gemma feels because she has lost control of her life and survival takes a front seat, rather than hatred for her captor.

It still fascinates me how Christopher has captured a fraction (because this is not as complex as it really would be in real life...possibly) of Stockholm Syndrome and the experience of being in captivity. It's like she's taken basic teenage emotions and basic survival instincts/reactions and amplified them, and described them in a letter to the catalyst.