bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Flat-Out Love - Jessica Park 3.5

While, I was definitely emotionally attached to both Matt and Celeste, Julie was a little harder to sympathize with. a) For being clever, it took her excruciatingly long to reach "what the deal is" with the Watkins family, and b) Julie is obsessed with things being normal.

This was cleverly written, with an easy-to-read air, even if the narrator was a little obnoxious at times. I thought the little Facebook updates and emails were quirky and cute, if not too cheesy. FF was definitely unique, and the foundation for a plethora of inside jokes and awkward situations.

But, let's get down to business (to defeat the Huns!), the whole mystery part was fine and predictable and everything, but Julie and Matt deserved a chance to know each other better. I mean sure Matt knew everything about Julie, but what does Julie know about Matt (other than he is almost as messed up as Celeste with his made-up Finn, and he can outnerd most students). This was a story about a dysfunctional family and a dysfunctional love, based on false pretenses about identity. To be honest, it's kind of maddening that Julie didn't stop trying to change Matt, for one second, to take a look and enjoy his company (until much, much later). More time without the Finn situation...

I really liked this story, especially when we FINALLY got to Julie's and Matt's romantic development, outside of the Finn and Julie bubble. Not sure if I appreciated that after a highly emotionally charged night...

I did like the entire family story, and Celeste's quirkiness and everything. Definitely an easy travel-read. It doesn't make you gush about the romantic interests though. And it's emotionally charged-ness is sparse. The best bits were the drunken call, random banter, Celeste's commentary, and Flat Finn metaphor.

Regarding typos and editorial overlooks...now that I'm on the other side of the fence, I see that some things cannot be helped and a timeline is a timeline. I accept this.

Now for a short note, unrelated to the book (please stop reading if you do not care):

Despite the author's abysmal attitude towards bad reviews (and the reviewers behind them), this was decent chick-lit. And I'm REALLY not into chick-lit. I think it should also be noted that I always read outside of my comfort zone, whether it's romance, a reference book that is not based in sciences or history, or even a mystery book (waaaay out of my comfort zone), but that does not mean I am incapable of giving it a review that is helpful and informative. Nor will I tolerate being told what I am allowed to read or not allowed to read.