bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Defiance - C.J. Redwine Worst-case Scenario: It sucked. The characters had barely any depth, even if they were moody. It played out like a really straightforward, no-obstacle, everyday task that even I could perform. I don't even understand how I made it through this book. The writing is great in format and the author can certainly articulate herself, but goddamn I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. It was a waste of time, because I didn't care and I don't even know what the point of the story was (although every time the Cursed One burst through the ground I screamed "YOU SHALL NOT PASS", much to the annoyance of anyone in the vicinity). I couldn't even connect to a single thought, feeling, or sentence. The closest I got to even trying to empathize with their motivations or stories was when that brother and sister, Quinn and Willow, showed up. They seem like they could actually have an interesting back-story. Tree people? I want to read more about them.

Best-case Scenario: Confusing readers makes them think the story is this hardcore, complex fantasy story, when really it is a scrap of nothing disguised as shit disguised as a book. I guess the facade is still there, so if anything, people will think it's something. I guess the best thing I can say for this trilogy, I'm assuming, is that the story can't really get any worse. The writing certainly can, since it's fairly good, but the story is horrid.

I really wish I hadn't wasted my time. :|