bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare At least there is only one more book until it's finally over.

Keywords: Werewolves, wizards, murder, best friends, vampires, teen, depressing, ghosts, demons, powers, assault, evil family members.

Rating:

Sentence: I sentence Cassandra Clare to a completely new series in which she can finally move on with her life...or career. I like you Cassie, but goddamn it, I want something new. If I see anymore of this Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices nonsense after both series' are over, I'm running in the opposite direction.

Review: It took me about 100 pages to actually get into this book. While I loved Clare expanding beyond Clary's POV, I could have done without Jordan and Maya or whatever their names are.

I did, however, find myself completely immersed in Alec and Magnus. Alec finally is beefing up with his own, surprisingly insecure personality. The little bouts of jealousy combined with desperation at getting a handle on Magnus, who he feels is too beyond his reach, endears him to me.

I just wanna pat him on the back and be that understanding friend that could possibly advise him against most stupid mistakes.

Anyway, while I was a little indifferent about the whole Clary and Jace situation, I found a total opposite reaction to the Clary-Seb situ.

I am hoping for a complete re-hash and appropriate reaction to this whole abusive, sexually-assaulting brother business. I know a lot of readers were iffy about it, but I liked that it was real, sick, twisted and dark. Sexual assault occurs much more often than people realize and I think that teen fiction needs more discussion of it. It needs to be addressed rather than avoided and perhaps even dealt with (appropriately and inappropriately) within books. As Clare said in the piece she wrote on her website/blog, just because there is abuse in books, does not mean that the authors of such works promote violence and rape. Writing is a form of storytelling and stories are an escape and sometimes a fantastical metaphor used to deal with real life issues.

Maybe I am taking this whole thing much too seriously, but books like Speak and The Perks of Being a Wallflower are relatable for a reason; they don't try to pretend the darker aspects of young adult life do not exist or are uncommon.

If teens were left to read happy and sappy romances, happily-ever-after scenarios and non-violent versions of everything perhaps their expectations would be set a little too high and their interest in reading diminished. Teens are angsty, over-dramatic creatures.

Alright, so I sort of went off on a tangent, but my point is that City of Lost Souls is great in that sense. It made me weep, the fight scenes were decent for once (Clary uses some quick thinking, which was an excellent change) and you feel for the characters you don't really think you like (Sebastian, Maya, etc.)

My only points of issue with this book were:

-Maya and Jordan; who really cares? And weren't they a sort of metaphor for normal abusive couples? UGH.
-Simon loves Iz, but he is way too attached to Clary still. I don't trust that shit. Sorry dude, Iz is better than that.
-Magnus must realize how tough it is for Alec. He is oddly unforgiving for someone who has hundreds of years of experience versus the kid that is dating a guy for the first time.
-Why does Sebastian always miraculously get away? I feel like I'm watching Scooby Doo but Sebastian is Shaggy surrounded by a dozen monsters with only one door out and he accidentally trips into Fred's trap which slingshots him out of a random skylight I didn't notice before.

Anyway, I highly recommend reading this book, even if you hated the last one. In fact, pretend the last one didn't happen and enjoy this book (as much as you can) as it is. Not as great as the original trilogy, but worth checking out.