bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Illuminate (Gilded Wings, #1) - Aimee Agresti SPOILER ALERT: It's been awhile since I read this book so I may not remember the smaller details, but might give away the bigger ones.

Sentence: I sentence Aimee Agresti to carrying ten copies of Illuminate on her back for 48 hours. That's how it felt when I really wanted to speed through but there were just so many possibly crucial...words. ;D

Review: I only complain about the size of the book because I fear it'll turn off many teens from reading a pretty decent and witty book. It's not even complicated or too heavy for teens that read Twilight and The Mortal Instruments trilogy series (UGH).

Basically all the events of this book are highly improbable, but that is true of thousands upon thousands of books. And I therefore cannot judge this book by the crazy awesome opportunity to work in a hotel for credit or the fact that the protagonist agreed even though she is not going into hospitality services but medicine (tentatively).

From the very beginning (sort of) you know that Haven Terra (even if you ignored her ridiculous name) is some sort of angel-winged-thing. It's no secret to anyone but her.

If I could sum up this book it would be like reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, very teened up and partially immersed in a modernized Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy settings. Perhaps Dante, Haven's BFFL is a tip of the hat to the epic Italian poet.

In any case, the slow development and lack of action is worth sitting through. Agresti is clearly not new to writing and shows it with her wit and her quirky characters.

My only complaint is that Dante was a little too stereotypical as the gay friend and if he is to be so flamboyant and, well, gay he needs balance. I am all for the inclusion of diversity in books, especially teen, but a flamboyant gay protagonist needs a not-so-stereotypical gay to balance him; to show readers that not all people belong to a single label. People are more complex and cannot be entirely compartmentalized. I believe that is a responsibility of authors, as crazy and fantastical as their stories may be; people are people and that, at least, should read honestly.