bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Divergent  - Veronica Roth I had to revise my rating for this book since it got super popular. Okay, so let's be honest here, people only love this book because:
a) you can divide yourself into Hogwarts houses factions through Sorting Hat dream-drug/cheese dreams and
b) Dystopian is so in.

Sentence: I sentence Veronica Roth to a staring contest. I am telling you, I will win.

And also, this cannot be the first time something like this has happened, where someone has gone against the rules of that not-so-shit-disturbing test-dream. I mean, come on, what the frak is it supposed to mean? That you ate cheese before you went to bed or that you have an embedded and illogical fear of dogs? Forget the effing knife, give me a sledgehammer. Seriously, a dawg should know his place.

The point of the story is that people can't be categorized right (even though the faction thing has everyone wanting to make those bloody quizzes to find out what faction they're from). Why have factions when you just choose where you want to go anyway?

Is it just me, or is your first thought (if you're power-hungry): Oh HAI Abnegation, I hear you get to be in charge. Where do I sign up? How is there not a Voldemort, in monk's robes, leading the world to its doom?! How does the end of the world as we (the reader) know it make any sense? It's not really clear, at all, what happened to make things the way they are in Divergent; other than pure idiocy with a dash of alcohol.

The problem I have with this "world" in Divergent, for a lack of a better term, is that it's all in a kind of void. There aren't really places, other than Chicago, and there is no mention of places outside of Chicago. The world is Chicago, and that's a little too small for me, thank you very much. Last time I checked the world was round; not flat and so painfully two dimensional.

But of course the world is just that simple! After all, they're letting sixteen year-olds choose what faction they belong to. Um, hello? Is it not common knowledge, for all adults that remember being sixteen, that at that age you are at your most confused about your identity? But I figure, hey, this must be part of all the pressure of being a teen in Future Chicago--so I'll let it go.

And Beatrice, though raised in Abnegation, is not a pushover and just wants to be happy (I guess). Instead of, you know, choosing to be oblivious and happy (Amity) she chooses to put her life at risk every day. Nice, she's a typical angst-y, emo teen. It's a miracle she wasn't killed off by the weight of her inflated head.

And her romance with Four/Tobias/her instructor is really quite fascinating since, you know, it defines her entire personality. Not only is it entirely inappropriate to have a relationship with her instructor, but apparently her worst fear is having sex. I'm gonna call it, but if that was her worst fear, their relationship is really not going to work out.

Despite all the character-and-entire-premise-of-Divergent flaws, it was generally enjoyable (at first), with some obvious, potential villains thrown into the mix. Al, unexpectedly, was a sort of antagonist driven by fear, which I can understand and even appreciate. He recognizes that his like for Tris can only go so far when it comes to his survival.

But then rolls in the secretively deviant plot between the leader of the Dauntless and the Erudite to...I'm not sure what they're really attempting to do, actually. I just need someone to, please, explain to me how being non-divergent (even though I think everyone technically is divergent) led to everyone being zombified and mind-frakked. And it happens just when you know Tris is unaffected by such trivial things.

Despite all that, I think what REALLY bothered me the most about Divergent was how cool her parents seem and then BAM! Roth decides, oh hey, it's much more convenient if Tris' parents are dead, so that she has only strings attached to her bff and her bf, Four. You know, for later in the trilogy *hint hint*.