bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Dark Inside  - Jeyn Roberts Sentence: I sentence Jeyn Roberts to a long, unhollow life, feeling the ocean (but still creating chilling scenarios like in this novel).

Review: There was something about this book, from start to finish, that filled in my void for a good read. It was short, sweet, dark and horrifying. I absolutely loved Roberts' style. As always, with changing perspectives, I found I had favourites. I was always itching to read about Mason, Aries and "Nothing", which strongly hints at being Daniel's perspective.

The worldwide chaos, but not really knowing what is happening is also appealing. I mean, hello, earthquake and then people freak out and start psychotically killing other people; there really isn't time to consider China, or India or Australia. It stays local and close to heart (local being North America), because this isn't exactly post-apocalyptic. It's more like whatever is going to destroy civilization (such as evil filling in the hollow parts of people's souls/brains) is ongoing. It's not a fast one-day process. And it's a game.

I appreciate that the author avoided explaining (to death) what is happening to the majority of people. Mason is at risk of the dark inside him and Daniel is more than on the edge of it all (and we do get a brief look into it), but it is terrifying because for some people this glimpse of darkness is familiar. It's not evil, really, as Daniel is aware. Some people have become blind with rage, hate and the violence; almost zombie-like in nature, but not dead. Others retain full-functioning and are as clever as they were before the change, but have let animalistic instincts and the dark take over their actions.

It's almost a cautionary tale of human nature and that with all that lightness we bring to the world, there's always the potential to do awful things. There are examples of it in our society today, with murderers, the war-hungry, and even in our ability to turn a blind eye to those that need help. But it should be clear that the potential is in all of us.

From her witty language ("My name is Aries, but I'm a Gemini.") to her dark prose ("We forget how truly fragile we are. Skin. We do so much to it. Burn it. Tattoo it. Rub chemicals into its surface. Sometimes we scrape it, pierce it, poke holes through its softness. Skin holds us together. It keeps the blood inside. Without it, we die. When the knife slashed through her skin, she gave a look to suggest she couldn't believe I'd hurt her. ...She thought she'd live forever."); Jeyn Roberts has got this riveting horror-thing down.

Afterall, there is nothing worse than being scared of yourself.