bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton Normally, I don't bother with reviewing books, but this one really deserves some explanation. I picked up this book expecting it to be one of the worst reads ever. Surprisingly, it moved fast and it really was engaging...except things just didn't make sense. And even the world of fiction and fantasy have rules.

Firstly, it's awesome that she's got kick-ass skills and a healthy dose of potty-mouth, but then things turned unexpectedly sour. While I was excited by the prospects of "New 2", I didn't expect anything beyond weird-looking people. That really wasn't the problem, however. Despite the book's abrupt dive into mythology and voodoo, the story had potential.

Until I realized she was practically in love with Sebastian (dark, tall, hunky and obvious) within her FIRST DAY in New 2. Seriously? And I know she doesn't think she's going to be preggo anytime soon, but at the rate she's going, she'll have three young'ins before she finds her father. After Athena was introduced, the rest was too easy for me to predict, though I didn't guess she was Medusa's descendant directly, because, well, she's not exactly a gorgon. She conveniently doesn't react to the curse until she turns 21. I'm not particularly sure why, but I think it's because it works better for the story.

I'm not quite sure how the silver hair and teal eyes play into everything either. Medusa, in later mythology was characterized as a beautiful, mortal maiden raped by Poseidon in the temple of Athena (versus early classical mythology regarding her as one of three gorgon sisters born to a sea god and goddess). No one said anything about a girl straight out of a magic-girl anime.

In the end, while the story could have been really fun, there was just too much going on. It was like reading Twilight crossed over with Percy Jackson and a bit of adult humour/language. It was terrifying.