bookphilia

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Prodigy
Marie Lu
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
More Than This
Patrick Ness
Chime - Franny Billingsley Alright, so I was going to do a proper review, but I just can't. I'm punned out, folks.

Besides I fear I love this book too much to be silly about it. And I have to say, when I first started I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it. I was struck by how Briony was so annoyingly self-loathing. But then there was the pity and how she pathetically claimed she felt nothing because of witchery.

I found myself appreciating her character much more when she and Eldric created this secret society of awesome swamp-friend-creatures (the lion and the wolf). It was like freaking Adventure Time, but for realsies.

But srsly, this book reminded me much of my favourite Scottish ballad Tam Lin. It was probably influenced by such work, in fact, without the focus on a faerie queen or any of that.

People who loved this book will want to read Diana Wynne Jones' Fire and Hemlock. You will find that Jones' book is what teen was like in the 70s to early 90s: goddamn literature.

The characters were not one-sided and were much more complicated than the usual young adult novels out there. Eldric and Briony form a friendship first and romance later. They can verbally volley and Eldric certainly challenges Briony at every opportunity. And not challenging like a slap to the face and making her agree with his overt manliness. In fact he doesn't try to be overtly "manly", which in turn makes him seem more of a man than others.

Yeah wrap your head around that one, boys. :D